Monday, May 25, 2009

Life in Lyman: Lilacs


Lilacs always remind me of Memorial Day. I have little recollection of visiting any graves on a regular basis until after I was married. My wife's family would meet at her Grandma Lovell's home, pick lilacs and go to the cemetery in Ririe. I didn't know any of the people who's graves we were visiting and so for me it was a nice outing usually on a beautiful summer day.

After years of visiting the cemetery things are different. Grandma Lovell has passed away and that is who I think about. I think about sitting around her kitchen table always with plenty of food, usually ham. There was always desert, cookies with real butter and ice cream in a small green glass bowl. 

When I go to the cemetery now I think of her. A kind, intelligent and loving person who always remembered those who had gone before. For me, I always remember her when I see or smell lilacs.

2 comments:

mitchowl said...

I think I ate ice cream out of that same green glass bowl. Lilacs remind me of my Grandma and Grandpa Haroldsen, Grandma Lovell's parents. We always picked lilacs at their place every year. I've tried growing lilacs many times since, as a tribute to them but our poor Hibbard dirt is just too much for them. Love the stamp, by the way. I really want to learn your felt technique.

crazy lady said...

What a lovely tribute. Isn't it wonderful the way older generations can impact those who follow?
Your stamps are wonderful by the by!!!